The OFF TRIENNALE is a partner event of the Triennial of Photography Hamburg. It was conceived as a dynamic, experimental and cutting-edge component contributing and complementing the exhibition program at the primary venues. OFF TRIENNALE will be launched and presented during the opening week of the 7th Triennial of Photography Hamburg: June 7–17, 2018.
The open call for the OFF Triennale received 457 applications from all over the world. The members of the international Jury selected 15 finalists who will present their work in 15 solo shows at selected OFF locations situated all over Hamburg:
- Ute Meta Bauer (international curator, professor of contemporary art and founding director of the Centre for Contemporary Art in Singapore)
- W.M. Hunt (photography collector, author, curator)
- Susanna Kirschnick (artist, photographer and master-printer, owner and founder of gOlab Berlin)
- Alison Nordström (independent scholar, former senior curator of Photographs at George Eastman House, founding director of the Southeast Museum of Photography in Daytona Beach, FL. USA)
- Krzysztof Candrowicz (curator, artistic director of the Triennial of Photography 2018)
- Nina Venus (artist, curator of OFF TRIENNALE)
The OFF locations are chosen for their independent and ambitious program, their experimental approach towards presenting art and their contribution to the vivid art scene of Hamburg. Through meticulous research, these OFF locations have been selected by the curator of the OFF Triennale, Nina Venus. Each of the 15 artists will present their work at one OFF location, especially appointed to them. Through a collaborative process, each OFF artist will engage with the OFF location and present a unique OFF solo show.